Here's How to Download iOS16 Beta to Your iPhone Today Can't wait for iOS 16's public release? You can download the developer beta to your iPhone now, but there are some things to keep in mind.
This story is part ofCNET’s full coverage of Apple’s annual developer conference.
applesis currently in developer beta after being featured on earlier in June. The iPhone maker’s latest mobile operating system is only available to Apple Developer Program members, but you can download it right now if you want.
New iOS 16 features announced so far include afor the iPhone the possibility and . And while the upgrade isn’t slated for a general release until September, we’re showing you how to get your hands on iOS 16 right now—even before it enters public beta.
Although it is easy to download and install iOS 16, note that this pre-release version, especially since like all developer beta versions, iOS 16 may still contain unfinished features at the moment. These early betas are intended for developers to help them keep their apps up to date while providing early access to the latest features.
All of that should make that clearon your main device if you really want to try this version of iOS 16, but maybe a replacement iPhone new enough to work with iOS 16 instead ( ). If you want to follow these steps, we also show you what to do in case you need to roll back to a stable version of iOS 15.
If you want to learn more about iOS 16, visit the, and .
Before you download iOS 16, you should know the following
Since iOS 16 is an early pre-release, the software will be full of bugs and other issues.
Again, If you’re thinking about downloading iOS 16, do so on a backup or secondary phone if available. iOS 16 beta preview issues could freeze your phone and make it difficult to use, disable phone calls or text messages, or make it extremely laggy. However, if you only have your main phone or tablet available, make sure, that Backup your device to iOS 15 before upgrading to iOS 16. This way you have the possibility to go back to iOS 15 if there are too many problems with the new operating system.
Also, you must have one iPhone 8 or later running iOS 16. The next mobile software update will not be applied to the iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 6S, “iPhone” 6S Plus, “iPhone” 7 or “iPhone” 7 Plus.
If you haven’t already, sign up for the Apple Developer Program
The first step to getting iOS 16 on your iPhone or iPad is to enroll in the Apple Developer Program if you are not already a member. If you’re using your iPhone or iPad, here’s how you can sign in:
1. Download the Apple Developer app from the App Store.
2. Start the app, go to Account and type Sign up now.
3. Sign in with your Apple ID credentials.
4. Read through the various benefits and instructions, enter your personal information and scan your ID to verify your identity.
5. Once this information has been submitted, you will need to select your company (in most cases an individual) and agree to the program license agreement.
6. Finally, you pay the Apple Developer membership fee (using Apple Pay), which is $99 (about £80 or AU$140) per year.
After successfully completing the payment, you will be redirected to your account page in the Apple Developer app. Here you can confirm that you are now registered and you can also check the expiry date of your membership next year.
Download iOS 16 to your iPhone or iPad with an over-the-air update
The easiest way to download iOS 16 is an over-the-air update, just like you would update to any other new software version on your device. Here’s how:
1. Go to the Apple Developer Program downloads page on your iPhone or iPad, tap install profile for iOS 16 beta (iPhone) or iPadOS 16 beta (iPad) and strike To allow.
2. Next, open the Settings app and tap Profile downloaded and hit To install top right when it appears. Enter your passcode when prompted, then tap To install two more times. Your phone needs to be restarted.
3. Once your phone boots up, plug it into power, make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi, and go to settings > General > software update. If you don’t see an available update right away, wait a few minutes and try again.
4. Finally strike Download and install > To install and enter your passcode to update your device.
After your phone restarts, you should have access to the latest iOS 16 developer beta.
You can also download iOS 16 using your Mac
Over-the-air updates require a certain amount of disk space, and if you don’t have that available, using your computer is really the only way to update to iOS 16 without manually freeing up disk space.
1. On your Mac, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, search for iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta and click on it Download recovery images.
2. Download the iOS beta software recovery image for your specific device.
3. Next, connect your device to your computer and enter or click your device passcode Trust this computer when prompted.
4. Open Finder and click on your device in the sidebar below Locations.
5. Generally, next to Software, you will see the latest software running on your device.
6. Hold down the possibility button, click Check for To update and select the iOS 16 beta software recovery image you just downloaded from the Apple developer site.
The iOS 16 beta software will be installed on your device. Wait a few minutes and when your phone restarts you should have access to iOS 16.
See more new articles in category: Other